- 9 English, Strategic Reading
- I believe that my job is to help students find their own authentic writing voices and to use those voices effectively for a multitude of audiences — academic, professional, social, public, private. In order to become good writers, they need to be reading difficult text using strategies to access that text. The purpose of my class is to challenge students to become critical thinkers through reading and writing.
- Skills students will walk away with are the ability to tackle challenging texts through the use of skills–such as annotating, close reading, asking questions—in order to draw deeper conclusions and formulate a cogent response to a prompt.
When I started college, I majored in engineering, although I had always wanted to be a teacher. After interning at an engineering company, I realized that I had to make my passion come true, so my senior year of college I changed majors and virtually started all over. Incidentally, I have enough credits to teach math or science in addition to English; however, I love English and would never switch! I have been teaching in Colorado for 16 years and in Jeffco for 11.
- CU Denver, Bachelors of English, MA Curriculum and Instruction
- Walmart Teacher of the Year
- Recipient of five different grants to infuse arts and technology into the curriculum